3-way Active multiple plywood loudspeaker boxes with expensive drivers
This project will be described with Thomas' own words below
"Here is a short presentation of my latest DIY loudspeaker that I made using the digital crossover, DCN23.
My old Focal-based loudspeakers which I build
a long time ago were damaged because of rotten foam, so I decided to get a replacement.
I first thought of simply buy some new loudspeakers right away and that would be it, but..."
"I went to some shows and visit some dealers to listen to some brands like B&W, Monitor-Audio
and so on. The only one that sounded okay was the REVEL Salon 2 which would have cost me
20000 € and at the show was powered by Mark Levinson - stuff that would have cost another
50grand or so."
"So I decided to do it the hard way again and build another set of DIY loudspeaker.
It took some time to find out which drivers are top of their class today."
"I also had a chance to listen at the Magico loudspeaker at a show and I found the
cabinets very attracting, but I think the loudspeaker is a bit pricy, so I decided to
go for a DIY inspired version of the Magico cabinets and the best drivers of today."
"I chose the Audio-Technology 15H midrange because this is one of the fastest mid-range
drivers on the market according to the specs. It also has an under-hung voice-coil and the
overall build quality is flawless, unfortunately itís very expensive."
"The ribbon is a RAAL 70-20XR AM with Amorphous Core. This model is normally not sold to
DIY but I was lucky to get a pair, unfortunately itís very expensive."
The bass is an AURASOUND NS 10-794 4A. This driver also has an under-hung voice-coil
and a VAS of 32 litres which means it will fit in a relatively small enclosure,
unfortunately itís very expensive.
The building of the cabinets really was a pain in the a.. ! First I made a laser-cut
steel template as you can see in the picture. Then I had to cut out the wood with my
router; layer by layer 50 birch plywood in each box, which I think took about 5 weeks of spare time.
Then I had to glue them together which were even worse, and after all of this I had to sand and polish
the loudspeaker boxes.
Donít do this at home!